Wednesday, May 23, 2012

They called me what?

There is a debate going on among some people in the community about Relevant Truth Church, me, and this circle.  Is Relevant Truth Church just a bunch of crazy people doing crazy stuff?  Is this Pastor Josh some insane dude who is trying some stupid publicity stunt?  Is he really qualified to be a pastor?  Do the people in the church have any discernment at all?  Why would they be part of a church where the pastor does crazy stuff like painting a circle on the floor and living in it?  Like really, who does that?

So, I wanted to take a second and answer the questions that many of you are asking.  Here we go.

Jesus is amazing.  Everything is all about Jesus.  His glory, His sacrifice, His name, His power, His love. 
My name is Josh Sexton.  I don't matter.  My name, my age, my credentials, my tattoos, my worth, my education.  

Jesus told me to start Relevant Truth Church.  I did.  Then, I started trying to do it the "right" way.  The way many other churches do things.  The same organization, structure, programs etc.  I tried to raise money the way I was "supposed to".  We had some success.  God brought people, and 35 people have accepted Jesus Christ at RTC in 6 months.  We have a wonderful facility that God has provided. 

With all of the success that we were seeing, I was about ready to quit.  I faced depression, anger, frustration.  I really felt like I could crawl into a ditch and lay there for a few weeks.  I had done everything I knew to do, and I knew something was missing.  Then I realized what it was.  We had started doing church!  We had a formula that was working, and our attendance was phenomenal, and we were seeing results.  However, I knew that this was not all that Jesus had for RTC.  He wanted us completely and totally relying on Him!  Like, praying and begging Him to move with no backup plan!  Actually living by faith.  I can't lead my church to me or my "church philosophy."  I had to take them straight to Jesus! 

My buddy gave me a book called "the circle maker," by Mark Batterson.  As I began to read it, God told me to draw a circle and start praying.  I said I would do that.  Then He told me to stay in the circle until He answered my prayers.  I freaked out, prayed for 10 days and asked Him to change His mind.  He didn't change His mind.  So I told Him I would do that.  I told Him that everyone would call me crazy, and say it was a publicity stunt.  He said that what they called me didn't matter, as long as I obeyed Him. 

He told me to go into the circle with no crutches.  So I did.  Ten days later, with no caffeine, nicotine, tv, youtube, netflix, books, google, or any form of entertainment,  I am hearing from God!  I am still nobody!  But Jesus has shown me so much who He is.  This circle has been one of the greatest sources of pain that my wife and I have ever dealt with, but we wouldn't trade it for anything.  I've seen visions, had dreams that I know He gave me, and experienced confidence in Christ that I have never understood.  The time that I have spent in the Word is changing me from the inside out.

I am also hearing from people some of the names that I am being called.  It almost hurt my feelings. Especially when I hear that it's mainly other "brothers and sisters" from other churches.   But it didn't :)   I am far from an expert on church planting, pastoring, Biblical interpretation etc.  Here's what I understand.  Jesus said if I loved Him, I would obey Him.  He told me to live in a circle.  I don't get it.  But I don't have to.  That's why He's God.

Call me crazy, stupid, insane.  Call me a mystic.  Call me uneducated, simple, unexperienced.  Say I'm not qualified.  I agree with you.  Good news......

JESUS IS EVERYTHING THAT I AM NOT!!!!

That's the point.  Think what you want of me and what I am doing.  That's irrelevant.  However you get there, as long as you get to Jesus, that's a win.

I love you, Jesus loves you.