Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Pansy in a Pulpit

Charles Spurgeon said, "I am perhaps vulgar, but it is not intentional, save that I must and will make the people listen. My firm conviction is that we have had quite enough polite preachers, and many require a change. God has owned me among the most degraded and off-casts. Let others serve their class; these are mine, and to them I must keep."

How many men, designed and called by God to speak the truth, have been castrated by the knife of institutionalized Christianity?  How many men have been so intimidated and pacified in a seminary classroom, that they no longer seek to speak the truth plainly as their chief goal in preaching?
    How many men have been lost to the fear of man as a result of listening to the criticism that always flies from the arrogant, pious hypocrits that fill the pews across America?  "You shouldn't say that."  You shouldn't wear that, smoke that, drink that, or believe that."  "You shouldn't let that person in your church."
       I have almost been lost many times.  Many times I have thought long and hard about returning to a quiet life running camps at the YMCA, mowing grass, or just finding something else to do altogether.  Many times I have gotten up from my computer and wondered why people love to hate so much.  Why do people want to see us fail?  Why do people listen to messages on our website, just so they can criticise it to their hundreds of FB friends?  Many times I have considered returning to the preaching style that I was taught growing up in conservative churches.  Many times I have contemplated censoring my messages, dressing more "appropriately," speaking more eloquently, taking out the earrings, covering up the tattoos, not showing so much emotion, and not being angry with the American Church.
        I cannot, and I will not.  I would rather face the hostility, name-calling, dirty looks, emails, FB messages and rumors, than become another pawn in the religious game that most of us are playing.  You can keep your knife for another man, because I will not become a pansy in a pulpit, so afraid to offend someone that he never actually says anything!  I will not ask my staff to dance the dance that brings acceptance in the church in the south.  I will not bow.
   If you don't go to church, or hate what it has become, I invite you to hang out with us at Relevant Truth Church.  We are a church of broken people in love with our awesome Savior, Jesus Christ.  Please wear shorts and a t-shirt, because our facility in unbelievably hot right now.  It's alot of fun though.  Jesus was tortured.  We can handle some sweat.  (Our children's area is air-conditioned :) 
      Please make plans to hang out with us.  We meet in what used to be Zero Gravity Skatepark in Brevard NC @ 6:00 pm/ The address is 920 Old Hendersonville Hwy.